Tuesday, November 21, 2017 | Updated at 8:45 AM ET

LATEST NEWS

Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather Jr. Fight Update: Record-Breaking Super Showdown Will Happen, Says Shane Mosley

First Posted: Dec 29, 2014 12:40 PM EST
Close
Gunmen storm jail freeing over 150 prisoners in the Southern Philippines

Boxing fans are still waiting for Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. to announce they have agreed to face each other on May 2, but Shane Mosley is convinced that the potential record-breaking showdown will happen.

Mayweather and Pacquiao have other options for their next fight, but Mosley thinks the reigning pound-for-pound king was serious when he called out the Filipino boxing icon earlier this month, Mosley told BoxingScene on Monday.

The 37-year-old Mayweather is planning to retire after two more fights, and Mosley said the unbeaten champion will look for the bout that will give him the biggest amount of revenue before he decides to call it quits.

"I think the best fight would be Mayweather versus Pacquiao and I think that is the fight Floyd would be looking for," Mosley said. "That is the biggest money fight and the fight the fans want to see once and for all, and I think that fight is going to happen."

Pacquiao accepted Mayweather's challenge, but both camps have yet to release information about the ongoing negotiation for the super fight, which is expected to set boxing records in terms of pay-per-view buys and total revenue.

In an interview with ABS-CBN News in the Philippines, Pacquiao said he is still waiting for updates from his camp about the status of the negotiation and added they are just waiting for Mayweather to sign a fight contract.

Pacquiao's longtime trainer, Freddie Roach, said on Friday he is still unsure if Mayweather is really willing to face his fighter. Mayweather is also being linked to a rematch with Miguel Cotto, who is also under Roach, but the Hall of Fame trainer insisted that all talks are pure speculation at this point.

"I don't know, yet," Roach said when asked about the status of the negotiation. "I was hoping for the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight to come along, and it's not there, yet. And then Miguel Cotto, obviously, was mentioned, and that's not quite there yet, either. So I really don't know what it's going to take to get Mayweather to the table."

Mayweather, who holds a perfect 47-0 record with 26 knockouts, has been throwing barbs to Pacquiao's camp on social media and in recent interviews.

Roach said that Mayweather, the reigning World Boxing Council welterweight and junior middleweight champion, should stop talking and just sign the contract to face Pacquiao on Cinco de Mayo weekend on May 2 next year.

"It's getting out there, again, there's an audience out there and everybody is getting interested again because Mayweather came out and finally said something back to us. So now all he has to do is sign the contract," Roach said.

For the latest sports news, follow Latin Post Sports on Twitter.   

FOR MORE BOXING NEWS UPDATES, CLICK ON THIS LINK TO VISIT LATIN POST.COM'S SPORTS PAGE. 

© 2015 Latin Post. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
Real Time Analytics