Sunday, August 18, 2019 | Updated at 12:51 PM ET

LATEST NEWS

President Obama's Approval Rating Dips in June

First Posted: Jun 15, 2015 05:08 PM EDT
barack-obama

Photo : Mark Wilson/Getty Images

President Barack Obama's poll numbers continue to deteriorate. A recent YouGov poll shows the president's approval rating has dropped; however, his numbers have worsened among Latinos and, to a lesser extent, millenials.

In YouGov's poll from last week, in which 1,000 people of voting age were interviewed, President Obama's approval rating slumped slightly after a brief spike last week. The president's overall approval rating stands at 43 percent while disapproval is at 54 among all those interviewed. The previous week the numbers were slightly better at 47 percent approval and 50 percent disapproval.

However, among Latinos the numbers saw a huge drop after a peak in the poll taken on May 30 to June 1. This poll found 41 percent of Latinos "strongly approved" of the president and 27 percent "somewhat approved," bringing his total approval rating among Latinos to 68 percent.

Yet, in the latest poll his number plummeted. Fourteen percent of Latinos "strongly approved" of the president while 38 percent "somewhat approved." The total of a 52 percent approval rating remains better than the over all rating but does not come close to the previous week's poll numbers.

Among millenials the president also suffered some setbacks but not as extensive as the numbers for Latinos showed. This past week's poll showed a total of 52 percent of millenials approved of the president. President Obama polled with the same numbers the previous weeks; however, the difference lies within the break down. The number of those who "strongly approve" of the president dropped from 17 percent to 15 percent.

Part of the reason why the president's numbers may have dropped, even slightly, could be because of the Trans Pacific Partnership trade deal and, especially, the trade adjustment assistance, which failed in Congress. The failure to pass TAA proved a setback for the president on TPP, a policy he has been trying to push through in spite of pushback from his own party.

Immigrant advocacy groups, like Presente.org, have argued TPP is dangerous to immigrants and workers in the U.S. because it would help further outsource jobs abroad.

A New York Times/CBS News poll found not many Americans were informed on TPP, but those who had information about the trade deal believed it would either not change the number of available jobs (29 percent) or would decrease the number of jobs (22 percent).

Latino groups have previously pushed Democratic presidential frontrunner Hillary Clinton to take a stance on the topic.

© 2015 Latin Post. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
Real Time Analytics