Three Teens Charged with Murder Conspiracy for Plotting School Shooting
Three teens are being charged with a murder conspiracy for allegedly plotting a shooting at two Michigan schools.
Argentine Township Police Chief Daniel Allen told USA Today on Sunday that the teenagers planned to attack students at Linden High School and Linden Middle School. According to WDIV Detroit, Allen said the group had "specific targets in mind," and the threat was "serious and credible."
"There were potential targets at the high school and the middle school," Allen said, via MLive. "From what we gathered they didn't really care who else got in the way either."
Allen said the investigation was launched after a school resource officer found out about the plot on Oct. 28. The teens were arrested the next day.
Information concerning the case was concealed from the public until an FBI investigation assured all known suspects were in custody.
The suspects were identified as 18-year-old Ryan Stevens, 15-year-old Lamar Dukes and 15-year-old Cody Brewer. Stevens is a former Linden student, while Dukes and Brewer were said to attend two Walled Lake Schools.
No motive for the attack has yet been revealed.
The three teens are being charged as adults with conspiracy to commit first-degree premeditated murder and false report or threat of terrorism. The conspiracy charge alone can carry a life sentence, while the terrorism charge is punishable by up to 20 years behind bars.
The news comes in light of recent school violence. Just last week, a student at UC Merced stabbed four individuals before being shot and killed by police.
"I retired from the City of Flint Police Department and I have come to find it can happen anywhere. No place is immune," Allen said. "You have to take the threats seriously, if they turn out to be credible you have to act as quickly as possible to avert the plan from happening. I was just thankful that we could get ahead of it. Really the assistance that we got from the FBI was amazing too as well."