Best of 2015: Five Latin TV Stars Who Made an Impact This Year
This year featured a number of incredibly talented TV celebrities that put a mark in the TV industry and proved Latinos are important to the entertainment business. Here is a look at five stars who had an incredible year.
1. Gina Rodriguez, "Jane the Virgin": After winning a Golden Globe in 2014 for the breakout show "Jane the Virgin," Rodriguez continued to remain on top with the second season to the acclaimed show. Rodriguez continued to astound with her performance and as a result the show was nominated for the inaugural TV Gotham award. Rodriguez is taking some time out of TV in the next year to do some films including "Sticky Notes" and "Annihilation."
2. Wagner Moura, "Narcos": Perhaps one of the most controversial casting choices has made Wagner one of the breakout stars of this year. The Brazilian actor received praise from critics for his portrayal of Pablo Escobar. However, Latinos were not quite as ecstatic as they criticized his Colombian accent. However, this seemed to give even more exposure. Wagner was also featured in Stephen Daldry's BAFTA nominated film "Trash."
3. Dascha Polanco, "Orange Is the New Black": Polanco is one of the most in-demand Latinas in the business currently as she continued to show strength in the Netflix original show "Orange is the New Black." The actress' performance in the show as Dayanara Diaz brought attention to many acclaimed directors, and she was recently cast in "Joy" alongside Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Robert De Niro and Edgar Ramirez. She is also scheduled to be in "The Perfect Match" next year.
4. Raul Castillo, "Looking": This past year it was announced that "Looking" would be canceled after two seasons. However, the acclaimed TV show that tells the story of three gay friends continued to show Castillo's talents on the small screen. His role as Richie was one of the most beloved in the show and one that got him attention. This year he was seen in "Gotham" and as Eduardo Flamingo and will next reprise his role as Richie in the "Looking" special which will conclude the series.
5. Sofia Vergara, "Modern Family": Perhaps the Colombian is not a new star in the industry, but she has continued to put her mark in the TV and entertainment industry. While her wedding to Joe Manganiello was a huge story in the news, it was not her private life that stood out. Instead it was her continued success in "Modern Family" that continued to drawing audiences. She also had a lead role in the wild comedy "Hot Pursuit." Her work on "Wild Card" was also exciting alongside Jason Statham.
Other stars that had banner years were Carlos Valdes for his work on "The Flash" and Diane Guerrero and Selenis Leyva for "Orange Is the New Black."
Subscribe to Latin Post!
Sign up for our free newsletter for the Latest coverage!