Android Lollipop Update Captures More Market Share
It might not be on many devices just yet, but new data shows that Android 5.0 Lollipop has gained some recent steam and is now running on nearly 10 percent of Android devices.
The figures, courtesy of Google, reveal that approximately 9 percent of devices that visited the Google Play store during a seven-day period ending May 4 were running Android 5.0 Lollipop. An additional 0.7 percent were found to be running Android 5.1 Lollipop, bringing the grand total to 9.7 percent and representing an 80 percent jump from the previous month. Google recorded Android Lollipop on 5.4 percent of devices during a seven-day period ending in early April.
The news is good for consumers all around, as the jump indicates that more manufacturers are rolling out Lollipop updates. It's also due to the fact that new handsets such as the Samsung Galaxy S6 and the HTC One M8 come with Android Lollipop right out of the box.
Android 4.4 KitKat still remains the most popular version of Android visitng the Google Play store during the same time period. According to Google, 39.8 percent of devices were running KitKat. The numbers between KitKat and Lollipop will likely seesaw over the course of the next few months as older models running KitKat see the bump up to Lollipop.
Next in line is the ever-popular Android Jelly Bean series. Google found that 15.6 percent of devices were running Android 4.1.x, 18.1 percent were toting Android 4.2.x, and 5.5 percent were on Android 4.3. All in all, this gives the Jelly Bean series 39.2 percent of the overall market, although it's important to remember it's spread out over three (more if you include the "x" versions) firmwares.
Older Android versions are still hanging on with Android 4.0.3-4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich taking home 5.3 percent and Android 2.3.3-2.3.7 Gingerbread garnering 5.7 percent. Even Android 2.2 Froyo still registers with 0.3 percent.
Google does note that it has no data on Google Play store visits on devices running Android 2.2 or older, although the company states that Android 2.2 and older versions accounted for 1 percent of devices that "checked in" into Google servers, but that was back in August 2013.
Sightings in the wild indicate that Google is gearing up to release Android 5.2 Lollipop soon, although, as usual, there is no date. Adoption of the new Android will also skew the numbers thanks the nature of Android updates, where manufacturers and carriers take time to tailor Google's code, creating a delay between Google's release and the time many popular handsets and tablets not running stock Android receive the new firmware.
For more stories like this, follow us on Twitter!
Subscribe to Latin Post!
Sign up for our free newsletter for the Latest coverage!